[Twisted-Python] a question about monotonic clock

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Oct 29 13:39:24 EDT 2012

On Oct 29, 2012, at 2:59 AM, Tristan Seligmann <mithrandi at mithrandi.net> wrote:

> I don't think anyone in this thread is arguing *against* implementing
> this functionality; I think the point was just that this functionality
> is only of critical importance under a limited range of circumstances,
> as opposed to being something of urgent need for every Twisted-using
> program that needs to schedule timed events.

Yes.  Even if the reasons cited in this thread are not 100% correct, the fact is that many thousands of Twisted servers that depend intimately on timed events are deployed, even on vmware-hosted virtual machine infrastructures, without experiencing difficulties related to #2424.

That said, it would be great if someone could implement a fix for that issue, as it's just one more thing that system operators need to be aware of and keep track of.  It would be really neat if you could totally screw up your timekeeping but have Twisted applications keep running reliably regardless.

-glyph