[Twisted-Python] a question about monotonic clock

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Oct 28 08:28:39 EDT 2012

On 05:57 am, dynamicgl at gmail.com wrote:
>Hi All
>
>    I am quite concerned the ticket 2424 due to our system use
>reactor.callLater almost anywhere. I know this issue is hard to be
>finxed
>otherwise It wouldn't exist for such a long time. So any work around
>before
>we getting fix it? The only way I can do is to disable NTP or stop
>process,
>sync the time manually and then restart the process. The latter way is
>hard
>to be accepted due to we have many machines.

NTP does not cause problems with scheduling.  NTP gradually slews the
system clock - it does not introduce discontinuities (either forward or
backward), it changes the rate at which time passes until the system
clock agrees with the external clock.

If you have systems configured to have their system clocks jump
(`ntpdate` is sometimes used for this), fix them to not be configured
this way.

#2424 is primarily about user-initiated events, primarily on desktop
machines - a user changing the system time, a user suspending the
machine (and later unsuspending it).  There's little or no reason for
problems related to #2424 to ever come up on a properly maintained
server.

Jean-Paul