[Twisted-Python] Request for help: throttling serving of static content

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Nov 5 17:06:12 EST 2012

On 09:12 pm, peter.inglesby at gmail.com wrote:
>Tomorrow I'm giving a talk to provide an introduction to asynchronous
>programming.  I'll be mentioning Twisted in passing, but the meat of
>the
>talk will be about writing a web crawler for finding broken links,
>first
>using single-threaded blocking code, then multi-threaded blocking code,
>before demonstrating a non-blocking solution using a select loop.  I
>can
>make the code and slides available if there's interest.
>
>For this to be effective, I was planning on writing a very slow
>webserver
>to serve static content locally.  I'd expected I'd be able to simply
>wrap
>an instance of twisted.web.static.Site in a ThrottlingFactory, and
>serve
>away:
>
>[snip]
>

>However, this fails with the following error because I've not
>registered a
>producer with my ThrottlingProtocol:

I don't think you're meant to need to register any producer.  The
producer is supposed to register itself.  So this seems to be a bug in
something.  If you can track it down any further and contribute a fix,
that'd be wonderful.

Also related, though - http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/601 - so
even if the producer were registered I don't know if you'd actually
achieve the desired behavior.

Jean-Paul