[Twisted-Python] AMP WebSockets bridging

Laurens Van Houtven _ at lvh.cc
Sat Jun 16 09:51:02 EDT 2012

On Saturday, June 16, 2012, Tobias Oberstein wrote:

> > Do you happen to know what the figures are like for iOS? I know mobile
> Safari only got web sockets in 4.something (1 or 2), I'm not sure what
> version of the protocol it speaks either, and obviously flash isn't an
> option...
> 4.2.1 .. which includes very old devices like iPod Touch 2nd gen.

... But only when fully updated, right? (I realize the update penetration
on iOS is quite high)

> All those speak Hixie-76 .. I don't know yet about iOS6 (do you have a
> device? would set up a test ..)

Typing this on an ipad3, but so far it's the usual iOS 5.something

> FWIW, Windows Phone 8 will come with IE10, and hence first class RFC6455.
> I don't know if MS ports that down to WP <8.

So what's the story on wp7? Does that thing have flash?

> You can find more details rgd. WebSocket browser support here
> http://autobahn.ws/browsers
Thanks, I'll take a look :)

> Disclosure: I am affiliated with above (but the information given there
> applies in general) .. and said that, let me at least mention 2 other
> probably controversial points;)
> Protocol. I understand you are into AMP. IMHO there will be at least 2
> others in that fields of higher level messaging across WebSocket:
> STOMP over WebSocket
> http://www.jmesnil.net/stomp-<http://www.jmesnil.net/stomp-websocket/doc/>
> websocket/doc/ <http://www.jmesnil.net/stomp-websocket/doc/>

Used stomp a while ago when I was being subjected to message queues. I
guess it mig be interesting :)

> WebSocket Application Messaging Protocol (WAMP)
> http://wamp.ws/

I knew this was a raven do thing -- how's adoption going?

Also I'm surprised that jsonrpc didn't make this list! Seems like a perfect
candidate for browsers.