[Twisted-Python] AMP WebSockets bridging

Laurens Van Houtven _ at lvh.cc
Fri Jun 15 21:24:09 EDT 2012

Unfortunately I have a lot of customers that are non technical, use IE6/7,
and can't or won't use chrome frame. I wish that wasn't the case, but... I
also have no data on the presence of old and busted flash plugins.

I might do this anyway beause:

- the relevant ticket hasn't landed yet
- even if you don't get 100% you get a lot more for very little effort

Do you happen to know what the figures are like for iOS? I know mobile
Safari only got web sockets in 4.something (1 or 2), I'm not sure what
version of the protocol it speaks either, and obviously flash isn't an
option...

Cheers
lvh

On Friday, June 15, 2012, Tobias Oberstein wrote:

> > Eventually I'll
> > try to write a Twisted implementation of SockJS, which is basically
> portable
> > websockets all the way down to IE6.
>
> FWIW:
> You can have WebSocket for IE8/9 via Flash plus
> https://github.com/gimite/web-socket-js
> and for IE6-9 with http://code.google.com/chrome/chromeframe/
>
> With a Hybi-10+/RFC6455/Hixie-76 capable WebSocket server implementation,
> plus above, you basically can support any relevant browser .. so is it
> really worth
> implementing SockJS server-side, redoing all the semiworking hacks that
> try to
> shoehorn bidirectional messaging into HTTP request/response?

cheers
lvh