[Twisted-Python] Running Twisted tests with testtools

Free Ekanayaka free at 64studio.com
Fri Feb 10 03:36:22 EST 2012

Hi Glyph,

|--==> On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 16:20:37 -0500, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> said:

  [...]
  >>Right. At the time it was discouraging because I felt like there were
  >>a hundred tests to fix one at a time, then add the deprecation warning
  >>and then a year later get to my actual goal of removing the extra
  >>iterates. I don't feel that way any more.

  G> This is also a great exercise for a Twisted contributing beginner,
  G> at least, if they have some help and guidance from a mentor
  G> familiar with the issues involved.  If anyone out there is on the
  G> fence about getting involved with the project and looking for an
  G> on-ramp that involves manageable chunks of work, test maintenance
  G> fixes like these are a great place to get started.

It indeed sounds like a nice learning experience of Twisted internals,
and I presume fixing a test that relies on these reactor spins could be
tricky/fun sometimes.

If there are still hundreds of such tests this can be a long work and I
may not be able to complete it all, however if it's fine/makes sense
that I help fixing at least some of them, then I'll be glad to help.

Cheers,

Free