[Twisted-Python] To those who are about to sprint

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Aug 19 20:05:42 EDT 2012

On Aug 19, 2012, at 3:49 PM, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:

> On 03:48 am, glyph at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
>>
>> For the next sprint, our BuildBot maintainer has assured me that he'll
>> be moving the build master infrastructure to a faster machine before
>> then, so that hopefully it will cope better with the increased load of
>> a sprint.
>
> Slave capacity really needs to be increased as well to handle sprint
> load.

The major problem with buildbot overload at sprints is the fact that the website becomes so unresponsive that unrelated activity can't take place, e.g. in the bugtracker, for long periods of time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the buildmaster and website are separated, won't that address that problem?

Also, won't the buildmaster evenly work through the backlog of submitted builds, finishing one every few minutes?  Or does some parallel stuff happen that makes subsequent builds progressively worse?

-glyph