[Twisted-Python] twisted server config: command line, environment or Axiom?

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Aug 8 16:13:09 EDT 2012

On 01:58 pm, _ at lvh.cc wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a bunch of configuration for my service. Things like endpoints,
>location of the root axiom store… Right now I grab these from the
>environment. That means that my twistd IServiceMaker plugin's options
>is pretty much by definition empty.
>
>I'm wondering if more mature twistd users have already learned the hard
>way what the best way to manage this is. I see three possible
>solutions:
>
>1. environment variables as I use them now: portable, simple.
>2. command line options: still pretty portable and simple. additional
>benefit: easy discoverability of options
>3. axiom store: has the benefit that there's a single source of truth
>for everything, i.e. I copy a store and I can recreate the service
>based on that store exactly, using just the store

This doesn't really seem like a Twisted question... but...

axiom is my favorite configuration persistence tool.
>Like I said, I currently use (1), it looks like (1) and (2) are more or
>less equivalent, I'm not sure if (3) is a good idea. I'm not really
>unhappy with (1), it's just that finally writing my ServiceMaker class
>made me contemplate the options.
>
>(3) has the downside that it conflates user data with configuration
>data. I'm not sure that's a good thing or not. It sounds very similar
>to axiomatic, which I've heard of, seen, but never played with.

It doesn't conflate user data with configuration data any more than any
other system.  Keep a database for your configuration and keep your user
data somewhere else (perhaps in a separate axiom store).

Jean-Paul