[Twisted-Python] How do I know the server from reactor.listenTCP already started listening?

David Kao a.libran at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 05:28:12 EDT 2011

I have an existing program that connects to a TCP port to serve data. I need to

1) start a TCPServer
2) start my program and tell it which port to connect to

Actually, I want to do all this in twistd. And now I am looking at
something like this which is even a bigger headache

internet.TCPServer( 4321, serverFactory ),setServiceParent(serviceCollection)

I revise my question.

Can I rely on reactor.listenTCP being called right after
serverFactory.startFactory is called?

I hope listenTCP isn't queued as a reactor "task" after
serverFactory.startFactory. If it's done all in one uninterrupted
thread execution, then I can just queue "start_the_other_program"
inside startFactory via a reactor.callLater. Correct?

Enrique, thanks for the link. I think I saw that too. I traced it
since reactor.listenTCP returns a port, and so on and so forth.

However, I have not been able to find code for internet.TCPServer. I
would like to be able to trace the code top down. Can someone help?
Thanks!

David Kao