[Twisted-Python] Running the same trial test suite against a live server and a mock server

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Sep 26 18:24:14 EDT 2011

On Sep 26, 2011, at 7:37 AM, Laurens Van Houtven wrote:

> Are there any better ways to pass test data to trial?

Environment variables.

This isn't a great option, but I'd say it's definitely a better one than modules which monkeypatch stuff.

You can also have your test cases synthesize stuff out of data files or config files in your environment.

I'm not really inclined to make this super easy, since tests should by definition not be terribly configurable: the more knobs like this you have to turn, the less meaningful your test suite is likely to be.

So, today, I'd write something like this:

TXIEVERY_USERNAME=foo TXIEVERY_PW=bar TXIEVERY_CERT=baz.pem trial txievery

but if someone has a better thought, please chime in - this is by no means the last word on this.  And I'm facing a similar issue soon so I'd love to hear some diversity of opinion here.

-glyph

PS: love the module name.