[Twisted-Python] Announcing txdnspython

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Sep 5 20:45:06 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 6:29 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> Can you register your project on Launchpad so that you can add it to
> <https://launchpad.net/tx>?  There's a link at the bottom of that page that
> says "Register a project in tx", it should only take a minute.

Done.

> Why was twisted.names insufficient?  What kind of stuff does dnspython do
> that twisted.names doesn't?  It would be useful to list these enhancements
> in your README so that users can judge if they need it.  In other words:
> what was the itch that lead to its creation?

The main reason was to be able to do secure dynamic DNS updates.
AFAICS there isn't support in twisted.names for that.  I suppose I
should have included an example, but to do secure updates you have to
cryptographically sign the DNS packets, plus you need to control the
DNS server etc.  The 3rd example at
http://www.dnspython.org/examples.html is a non-working example
(non-working because of the fake encryption key).

Sometime in the near future I'll need some DNSSEC support, but that
project is still a little half-baked so things may change.

Enhancing the README as you suggest is an excellent idea - more
projects need that sort of information.

> It might be neat to provide an IResolverSimple
> <http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/api/twisted.internet.interfaces.IResolverSimple.html>
> implementation with your code so that applications which want to use
> DNSPython can switch Twisted's name resolution to use it rather than a
> threadpool, with IReactorPluggableResolver.installResolver
> <http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/api/twisted.internet.interfaces.IReactorPluggableResolver.html#installResolver>.

Yes, that would be interesting to have too.  I'll look into adding that as well.

--
Jeff Ollie