[Twisted-Python] Twisted enterprise deployment models

Brad Milne brad.milne at devx.runthered.com
Thu Oct 20 20:10:21 EDT 2011

Thanks all for the thoughts.

Clinching drivers for us to choose AMQP (RabbitMQ) include built-in
persistence, manual ACK (ie only when finished, not just when pulled), plus
the obviously strong configuration-driven routing capabilities.

With this distributed architecture using rabbit, we're not likely to pursue
a hot-swap design with Twisted - there wouldn't be the same payback compared
with the ease with which new entire adapter service code can be deployed
with rabbit maintaining messages between components. It is something I've
come back to a few times though - have thought roughly about the idea of an
enhanced Service class that can be easily swapped in and out.

The plan was that if we continued with *n *Twisted services attached by
rabbit queues that we'd eventually build some manner of central Manager that
could be responsible for tracking these things. In fact we may extend it to
become a deployment manager as well at some point, that could control the
graceful swapping out of Twisted services.

Introducing these kinds of limits into the Twisted ecosystem would not be
> impossible, but it is very challenging, because you'd have to come up with a
> model that applied equally well to all of the supported protocols and all
> the ways you might want to store state within those protocols.

On this note, I hadn't aimed for the gold-plated approach of persisting
every state - we have stateful objects that we pass around and was thinking
more of closing all inbound services, waiting for completion, then closing
outbound services and persisting these objects' state. That would be less
reusable across Twisted as a whole, I understand, but certainly makes for a
more easily consumable first bite.

Fair enough re 'best-practice' :) I knew if I went as far as to ask that,
I'd get a reasonable gauge back at least

Thanks again
Brad

PS - Christopher, I look forward to seeing that lib