[Twisted-Python] Log output formatting (was Re: logging question)

Don Dwiggins ddwiggins at advpubtech.com
Tue Nov 29 13:44:21 EST 2011

On 11/17/2011 3:26 PM, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
> `msg` doesn't really care about what you give it. It doesn't support
> the `format` keyword in any particular way.  It's the job of a log
> observer to handle that sort of thing.  So it could certainly be
> documented, but don't mix things together that are unrelated.
>
> Jean-Paul

True, but I was motivated by a different concern: when I first started
using msg, I was unable to trace through the API docs to the place where
I could find what I've quoted; Chris' message gave me the hint I needed
to complete my detective work.  I'd like to spare future users of the
method the trouble I had.

Looking at the source of log.py, I'm at a bit of a loss to reconcile
these two forces.  Certainly, the two log observers implemented there
use textFromEventDict, but one could create a different observer that
does things entirely differently.

The best idea I can come up with is, in the documentation for msg, refer
to the documentation for the chosen log observer; then, in each log
observer's documentation, describe how the formatting is done, either
explicitly, or by reference to textFromEventDict.  (And maybe in the
documentation for ILogObserver, recommend strongly that each
implementation be explicit about message formatting.)  There should
probably also be something in the logging howto.

Any better suggestions?

--

Don Dwiggins
Advanced Publishing Technology