[Twisted-Python] Status of Twisted on Python 3

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Nov 24 09:58:14 EST 2011

On 02:23 pm, solipsis at pitrou.net wrote:
>On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 14:07:07 -0000
>exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
>>
>>A more correct solution would be `line.encode(someencoding)`.
>>However,
>>looking at `sendLine`, it's clear that the value of `someencoding` is
>>not easily decided upon.  Should it be UTF-8?  ASCII with an error
>>replacement policy?  cp1252?  Does it depend on the client, or the
>>server, or the filesystem encoding, or a user preference?
>
>RFC 3659 specifies UTF-8 as the default encoding.
>The Python 3 port of Twisted uses this (with the "surrogateescape"
>error handler).

Please say "My Python 3 port of Twisted".  The work you're doing is
appreciated,
but it's also important to avoid confusing people into thinking that
there is an
official version of Twisted for Python 3.  Twisted is what's hosted on
<http://twistedmatrix.com/> (11.1 just released!) and is still limited
to Python
2.4 - 2.7.

It's very easy to confuse people and get them thinking that a piece of
software
is supported in a context where it's not, or by a team that it's not.  I
want
everyone to remain clear on the current status of Python 3 support in
*Twisted*
(the thing we have a mailing list for, the thing we have an issue
tracker for,
the thing we have continuous integration for, the thing we periodically
make
releases of) as distinct from the progress of various porting efforts.

Thanks,
Jean-Paul