[Twisted-Python] Twisted Project Jobs Volunteer

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Nov 14 07:06:33 EST 2011

On 14/11/11 11:55, Tim Allen wrote:

> TL;DR: Github users have expectations of how to interact with projects.
> Twisted can make it easy for Github users to contribute by meeting those
> expectations, switching from SVN to Git, and changing the UQDS to match.
> Keeping things the way they are and adding a Git mirror is probably not
> going to have the desired effect without a lot of effort on somebody's
> part.

This analysis is spot-on IMO. I am a git and GitHub user, but merely
putting the repo somewhere public is about 5% of the benefit, and risks
creating expectations you can't (and won't) satisfy.

I'd love it if you guys move away from "attach a .patch file to Trac
ticket" as the submission workflow - and I think GitHub has great tools
for this. But if you're not going to do that, then a shallow clone
(which I didn't know about) will fill the need:

# run git svn shallow clone
git branch my-local-stuff
git diff master > stuff.patch
# submit to trac
# reply: "ok, please create all future patches against branch x-1-2"
# git svn update - pulls in the aforementioned branch
# hack away
git diff x-1-2 > stuff2.patch

Cheers,
Phil