[Twisted-Python] TDD: How to test that a Timeout Exception occurs within the timeout period

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Nov 7 08:46:12 EST 2011

On 01:27 pm, tom.sheffler at gmail.com wrote:
>I am investigating timeout properties of the FTP server module.  I
>have written the following trial test, that when functioning properly
>will throw a PortConnectionError with a "DTPFactory timeout"
>
>I would like to use something like
>
>   self.failUnlessRaises()

Unrelated to the real intent of your question: adjust this desire, you
should want to use self.assertRaises() instead.
>but the test is also constructed using defer.deferredGenerator, and it
>doesn't seem possible to apply the test for an exception to a
>Generator-based test.

This is somewhat true-ish.  There is another trial method that helps out
with this case: assertFailure.  The new trial documentation written by
Thomas Hervé addresses this use case a bit:

http://buildbot.twistedmatrix.com/builds/sphinx-
html/499-16046/projects/core/howto/trial.html#testing-scheduling

However, it's not clear to me that you actually have a Deferred that is
going to fire with a Failure.  It sounds like maybe you have an error
that will get logged and no other indication that what you were waiting
for has happened?  If so, you might want to aim for a Deferred that
fires when the important thing has happened.

Jean-Paul