[Twisted-Python] kqueue reactor / ticket #1918

Kevin Horn kevin.horn at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 12:49:03 EDT 2011

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 9:11 AM, Tobias Oberstein <
tobias.oberstein at tavendo.de> wrote:

> > Is there even a kqueue-based Twisted reactor?
> >
> > Yes... ish.  More detail here: <
> http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/1918>.
>
> Hi Glyph,
>
> first, thanks as always!
>
> The pykqueue 1.3 and 2.0 referenced in that ticket seem to be no longer
> maintained.
>
> On the other hand, Python has built-in support for kqueue since Python 2.6
> in the select module.
>
> I have adjusted the Twisted kqreactor to select.kqueue and made a package:
>
> https://github.com/oberstet/txkqreactor
>
> I have tested that reactor successfully with Autobahn WebSockets on
> FreeBSD 8.2
> (running as a VirtualBox x86 VM). When I'm home later, I can check out Mac.
>
> Doing the Autobahn tests helped me finding the only non-canonical change
> required
>

> https://github.com/oberstet/txkqreactor/commit/27302b4f643cd3967289ff11d811309a0b05f630
>
> Is there any regression/test/stresstest I could run to verify the stuff
> actually works?
>
> The Autobahn WS tests do quite some stuff, but they do not test
> concurrency and
> high connections numbers ..
>
> Cheers,
> Tobias

This is awesome, BUT...

...would probably have to be distributed outside of Twisted proper (at
least for the moment), as Twisted supports versions of Python < 2.6, where
select.kqueue would not exist.

(Maybe this is your plan, but I'm just pointing it out.)

Kevin Horn