[Twisted-Python] Twisted training slides

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Sat Jun 18 15:17:49 EDT 2011

Quick go-through:

  * Slide 50: Exercise 1 seems a bit poor -- it relies on the factory,
which you haven't introduced other than "oh hey there's this factory
attribute"

  * The panini stall metaphor goes on for way too long (IMO) and
doesn't really make sense.

  * Slide 92: I think having the callback being a method would make a
bit more sense.

  * Slide 100: I don't understand it. getRedirect doesn't exist, and
you should use 'return defer.succeed(data)' instead of 'return data'.

  * Slide 124: As I understand, DeferredList is a bit dated, and you
should use gatherResults instead -- it returns a deferred, and it
hands you a list of all the results in the callback. The dialogue is
also a bit repetitive (a list of Deferreds! I hand it a list of
Deferreds!) and the next slide has a typo header change.

  * Slide 133: You don't really introduce 'Deferred.callback', so I'd
recommend you do that. (I need to finish what I started with the
Deferred documentation improvements, I know)

  * Slide 137: I think a lot of people are going to just "reimplement"
it using getPage -- and I don't know why you'd want to create a poor
HTTP client when there's one built-in, and you're using it in
examples.

  * Slide 162: I think your examples would benefit by putting the
entire code on the screen at once, side-by-side: regular try/except on
the left, and errbacks on the right. Instead of replacing the slide to
point out some part of the example, highlight it instead. Do the same
for slides 167-168.

... and that's about all I read.