[Twisted-Python] Building API documentation

Yaroslav Fedevych jaroslaw.fedewicz at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 03:17:29 EDT 2011

On 18/06/11 10:09, Orestis Markou wrote:
> Apologies for the flood of messages - I'm getting anxious about this training ;)
>
> I'm looking for a way to build (or download) the API reference offline, so each trainee would have it locally for faster access. Looks like I should be using t.p._release.APIBuilder, but presumably there's an automated script to do all that (and change the included html docs to point there as well?).
>
> One of the aims of the training is to teach people to grok the docs (and the source), so we'll be diving into the docs a lot.

I did it in the following way.

1. Get a fresh copy of Twisted. I use trunk, you might go with a release
as well.

2. Get pydoctor. It's either in your distribution or on Launchpad: bzr
branch lp:pydoctor.

2.1. Get Nevow. It's probably at lp:nevow, though I'm not sure. Might be
in your distribution, too, so you can just use that.

3. Go into the toplevel directory of Twisted code.

4. Run something along the lines of
    pydoctor --make-html twisted

5. Have some coffee while pydoctor does its job.

6. Enjoy apidocs/index.html!