[Twisted-Python] Looking for Devs to answer noob questions on 6/22 & 6/23

David Shein dshein at rochester.rr.com
Wed Jun 15 16:10:05 EDT 2011

Hey Twisted Developers,
I'm looking to get a half dozen devs who will commit to being on the
Twisted IRC channel next Wed and Thurs during biz hours to answer
noobish queries from CS faculty working in an OS environment for the
first time. One group will be working on Twisted bug tickets.  All
the details are below.  If you are interested please LMK on the list,
or you can email me directly at dshein at rochester.rr.com.
Dave Shein
Rochester Institute of Technology

Greetings:
My name is Dave Shein, and I'm an Adjunct Faculty at Rochester
Institute of Technology. Along with Chris Tyler of Seneca College, we
are hosting a week long POSSE boot-camp at the RIT campus from June
20th -24th. POSSE, sponsored by Red Hat, is a week long educational
hand-on seminar in open source process, collaboration, and education.
The central purpose of POSSE is to increase awareness and
opportunities for Open Source participation in the university
setting. All POSSE participants are university staff or faculty who
will take what they learn in POSSE and use that knowledge in CS and
related curricula, to spread the word about open source
collaboration, and to provide increased educational opportunities for
CS related students. Our first two days are spent acclimating our
participants to tools and resources of the open source community, but
on the third and fourth day of POSSE we will have our participants do
a code-sprint. We are looking for opportunities in existing open
source projects which have a quick learning curve and setup time for
folks with a CS background but who in most cases will not have a
great depth of experience working in open source languages. We are
particularly interested in having our participants hack on Fedora
based projects. The students will have a Fedora F14 & F15/Linux work
environment setup as part of their initial orientation, and we are
looking for projects that will not have lengthy setup beyond the
participants' initial setup.
We obtained information about your open source project through
OpenHatch, and would like to know if your project would have elements
that would be amenable to our sprint. There will be approximately
fifteen to twenty participants working on the sprint in teams of 3 to
5 people each, of whom most are coders. IN ADDITION we are also
looking for a project participation opportunity for 3 to 4 non-
coders, possibly in the form of testing, copywriting, or editing
work. Ideally we would also like to coordinate with a point-person in
your organization during the period of the sprint, a person to whom
participants could direct questions, perhaps via IRC in real time.
If this is of interest to you please contact me at your earliest
convenience. I hope that we can work together soon.
David Malcom Shein
Rochester Institute of Technology
IRC# ProfSheinRIT on freenode