[Twisted-Python] A new & improved IResource

Laurens Van Houtven _ at lvh.cc
Mon Jun 13 09:18:55 EDT 2011

Hey!

In relation to my recent getChild problem (specifically, I want to return
deferred resources from it), it has become evident that IResource just won't
cut it for a number of reasons and we should probably replace the API with
something else.

The issues we should take care of in this new API:

1. http://tm.tl/3711 (returning deferreds from render methods)
2. http://tm.tl/3621 (returning deferreds from getChild and friends)
3. http://tm.tl/288 (accessing uploaded data while in progress)

If there are any missing tickets I'm forgetting about that are only fixable
by breaking the interface, now would be a good time to speak up.

I have created a new ticket (http://tm.tl/5152) for the new interface using
an integration branch that addresses the issues in the individual tickets on
a new interface as Glyph proposed. I've also commented on #3711 to say that
it just won't work that way and that we need a new interface, referring them
to the new ticket number.

What should the migration plan look like? At least from the code point of
view, exarkun has already partially answered this question:
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/288#comment:31

cheers
lvh