[Twisted-Python] Moving Twisted off Trac and SVN to somewhere nicer

Alessandro Dentella sandro at e-den.it
Wed Jul 6 05:03:14 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 10:15:09PM -0400, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 5:02 AM, Alessandro Dentella <sandro at e-den.it> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 03:42:04AM -0400, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> >> re: Mercurial, I didn't like it when I used it. If someone can tell me
> >> how to do this[3] in hg, I'd be more inclined to play along. And that
> >
> > I do this sort of things using mercurial queues. I pile up patches in a
> > queue and can subsequently navigate in the queue (hg qgoto fix_header1) and
> > fold it with a later one (hg qfold fix_header2).
>
> Hm. So it's like quilt?

I think so

> Are patch queues real commits (changesets,
> revisions, whatever), so I can log and blame and grep them while I'm
> working?

yes for all 3 (log, blame, grep)

> > While the queue is not yet committed I can change the commit log of a patch
> > in a simple way.

if the patch is called my_patch1:

  $ hg goto my_patch1
  $ hg qrefresh -e (open editor to change edit log)

hg qrefresh alone would just incorporate all modification to working
directory in the patch,

before committing you can anyhow keep all patches in a separate repository
(hg qinit will initialize it for you. I personally don't use it though).

If you use such a second repository I guess you can simply share that with
other people too, but I'm not using this workflow.

> >   hg qnew -f fix1 -m "this fixed issue 1"
> >   hg qnew -I debian/control -m "fix control"
> >   hg qnew -f fix1.1 -m "forgot something in issue 1"
> >   hg qgoto fix1
> >   hg qfold fix1.1  # This concatenate the 2 comments"
> >   hg qrefresh -e   # fix your comment as you like it
> >   hg qpush
> >   hg qfinish -a   # commit all queues currently applied
>
> Neato. This requires me to be in a queue *before* I fix my patch, right?

that's simpler. Otherwise you create a second patch and subsequently fold
them toghether.

Using a third part application called qct (that works also on git and some
other I believe) you can also cherry pick single diffs in a single patch to
be incorporated in a changeset. I use this a lot to keep the changeset as
clean as possible.

[disclaimer]
I'm not an expert of git, so my comparison should not be taken
seriously. It's true that all the time I use git I find it more convoluted than
mercurial, and I always thought it was an historical heritage.

sandro
*:-)

--
Sandro Dentella  *:-)