[Twisted-Python] Moving Twisted off Trac and SVN to somewhere nicer

Michael Thompson michaelnt at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 13:07:21 EDT 2011

On 1 July 2011 18:38, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
> As Itamar has already suggested, I think that this is a solution in search
> of a problem.  Aside from occasionally saving a contributor the trouble of
> typing 'review' in the keywords field every so often, what is this actually
> going to accomplish?  We have too many pending patches already, with not
> enough sustained interest to either review them or fix them; what we need
> are more sustained contributors, more reviewers.  Is this going to help us
> sustain interest?

I agree that there is a problem getting patches reviewed, I think git
provides a much better tool to reduce the effort and pain for a
reviewer in applying patches, and updating branches to HEAD. Github's
patch review tool, and the ability to get a diff to a patch reviewed
are big wins in my opinion.

I think github means less effort for the reviewer because they can
review commits, rather than a large diff. They can review changes
following a review. They can have a tool to make comments next to the
code and it is less effort to apply patches and update branches to
HEAD.

Small, documentation diffs, for instance can be reduced to a single
click for a core developer to merge the change to trunk.

Michael