[Twisted-Python] Moving Twisted off Trac and SVN to somewhere nicer

Laurens Van Houtven _ at lvh.cc
Fri Jul 1 11:04:53 EDT 2011

Itamar makes an excellent point. That probably is one of the worst problems
we have right now. and it definitely needs to be addressed.

Figuring out how code could end up not-in-the-attic sounds like part of the
transition plan to me. I do, in fact, think Github means patches are less
likely to be abandoned. There's two reasons for that. First of all, you
don't have to deal with a patch: you deal with a pull request. That means
there's a branch with commits, and it's already in version control. Because
that version control lives on Github, it's very easy to pull into your own
checkout and work on it.

This lowers the barrier to entry further, and completely gets rid of the
distinction between committers and non-committers we currently have (where
non-committers don't get to use version control, basically, unless they use
bzr or something else, which again is a distinction between workflows for
people with and without commit bits).

The main problem I see in this transition is that Github tickets and pull
requests are distinct elements in the issue tracker, whereas reviews go on
the ticket in Trac/UQDS.

cheers,
lvh