[Twisted-Python] Moving Twisted off Trac and SVN to somewhere nicer

Itamar Turner-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Fri Jul 1 09:44:15 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 15:23 +0200, Laurens Van Houtven wrote:

> Well, part of the hypothesis of the effects of moving to Github is
> that a) the clear separation between "core contributor" and "random
> contributor" because a bit more subtle, b) it becomes easier for
> external contributors to contribute. So yeah, I guess it is, but it'd
> be cool if it became a bit more open to contributions from the more
> general public :)

I'm not sure getting more patches should be our main goal, for now.
(It's a good *long term* goal!).

We have a large number of uncommitted third-party patches in tickets. We
have a large number of half-finished developer branches (I'm working on
a couple, since it's an easy way to get things done). These were not
left uncommitted or unfinished because of tool problems, but because of
other issues. Dealing with this seems to me to be higher priority than
getting even more patches we won't get around to incorporating.

If you want more contributions, improving the processes so abandonment
is less likely to happen is the first step. I can certainly think of
ways in which e.g. github might help with that, but this is not a
*technical* problem, it's an organizational and social problem, and at
the very least you should think about how to solve it before redoing all
the technical infrastructure. For example, making sure all reviewable
tickets get reviewed within 7 days, and all new tickets get an answer
within 3 days.

If a switch github is super-successful in getting us more patches, and
then those patches sit in limbo forever, all we've done is alienate
potential developers.