[Twisted-Python] Moving Twisted off Trac and SVN to somewhere nicer

Thomas Hervé therve at free.fr
Fri Jul 1 09:23:44 EDT 2011

Le 01/07/2011 14:14, Itamar Turner-Trauring a écrit :
> On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 12:29 +0200, Laurens Van Houtven wrote:
>
>> Unless someone is going to go all "NO GITHUB IS TERRIBLE AND YOU ARE A
>> BAD PERSON FOR EVEN SUGGESTING IT" on me, maybe we can talk about
>> planning the transition? :)
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, Github is a proprietary system, which means I'm
> unhappy about hosting our project there. At the minimum I'd want a very
> good story about how we can get all our data out if we need to. And even
> then I'd probably be against it. What's more, we can switch to
> git/bzr/hg without switching to a hosted system (e.g. trac with
> GitPlugin, and redmine has builtin integration for all of those.). Why
> does git imply github?

I think there are 2 sides though here: we want to move away from Trac as
well as from SVN. And, the main reason for me is that we don't have to
maintain Trac. So redmine wouldn't solve the whole problem.

As Laurens said as well, the main attraction for git is using github. I
don't think switching to git alone makes a ton of sense.

One thing that concerns me is that Trac supposedly supports bzr, and we
tried to use bzr, but never made the move completely. Why do you think
it will change? Is it just that we didn't take any decisions? Or that
nobody stepped up?

> In my opinion the biggest barrier to new developers is not whether we
> use git or subversion or what have you, but the high quality of code
> required (coding standard, tests, passing code review). A DVCS may well
> encourage more users, but I'm skeptical it will have a major impact.

Well, even not thinking about new developers, a DVCS will make the life
of current ones easier. Even though we can start to use bzr, it's a bit
clumsy IMHO.

--
Thomas