[Twisted-Python] Moving Twisted off Trac and SVN to somewhere nicer

Tim Allen screwtape at froup.com
Fri Jul 1 06:59:32 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 12:29:01PM +0200, Laurens Van Houtven wrote:
> There's a few existing hosting solutions:
>
>    1. Launchpad (+ Bazaar as the default vcs)
>    2. Bitbucket (+ Mercurial as the default vcs)
>    3. Github (+ Git as the default vcs)

As a very-occasional Twisted contributor (but a long-time fan!) I'll
vote for option 3. I'm not particularly a fan of Github[1], but Git is the
DVCS I know best, and I'd be more than happy for Twisted Labs to make
it easier for me (and people like me) to contribute.

On the other hand, using git would probably complicate the build/review
process: since Github repositories are (as far as I know) owned by
individuals, you might not be able to set up access for multiple people,
and hence the current scheme of "push your changes to a branch on the
central server, tell the buildbots to build it" might not be possible.

Tim.

[1] In fact, I'm vaguely uneasy about "distributed version control"
being so centralised  on a single piece of commercially-owned
infrastructure. On the other hand, the only hosted alternative would be
Gitorious, and it doesn't have a lot of the shiny features Github has,
like bug-tracking.