[Twisted-Python] Using SerialPort with t.a.s.Application

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Jan 28 14:33:18 EST 2011

On Jan 28, 2011, at 10:38 AM, Kevin Horn wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Itamar Turner-Trauring <itamar at itamarst.org> wrote:
>
> A service is supposed
> to be something you can start and stop, and encapsulates a
> self-contained piece of business logic.
>
> -Itamar
>

> This or something very much like it should be in the Twisted Glossary.
>
> Kevin Horn

The whole idea of a glossary concerns me a little bit.  One way I frequently see it done is vague little snippets of text like this, and I don't like that.  Not to say that Itamar's answer to this particular question was incorrect or inappropriate, I just wouldn't want to see this enshrined as the official, central definition.

However, Twisted does have its own jargon and a dictionary to help the novice parse it would be a good thing.

What I'd really like to see in this regard is to make sure that every "jargon term" is linked straight to API documentation, since we've gone to some trouble to make our jargon match the names used in code as closely as possible*.  In this case, <http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/10.2.0/api/twisted.application.service.IService.html>. If the API documentation is not sufficient (which in this case it may well not be), let's make the API documentation sufficient.  Don't fortify it with a redundant official glossary listing that has to be maintained in parallel and updated in synch with the API docs.

Thoughts?

*: The one exception being talk of Deferreds which have 'fired' or 'failed', when the methods are called 'callback' and 'errback'.  I think this points to a weakness in the API naming though, and we should eventually change those names to match the jargon.