[Twisted-Python] Names DNS Client too chatty

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Jan 24 08:48:27 EST 2011

On 10:40 am, p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk wrote:
>On 01/24/2011 02:43 AM, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
>>
>>Personally I'd say 'false'.  This is technically a change in
>>behavior, but I don't think that we should make guarantees about
>>emitted log messages.  Practically speaking, I've never seen any code
>>which would care about an unstructured log message.  Anyone else
>>object to changing it?
>
>I'm strongly in favour of setting noisy to False on all factory
>objects;
>I find their logging tedious, and have a bunch of monkeypatch code in
>most of my projects to import the modules and set the class variable,
>I don't have to subclass just to do that.
>
>The structured logging proposal sounds interesting and I'm potentially
>willing to give it a go. However, it seems like it would be a lot of
>work and that it would be very likely to sit in Trac review limbo for a
>while (getting ever-harder to merge the branch back in).

I don't think it would be a lot of work.  Glyph already implemented
1/3rd of it in a previous email in this thread.  The rest is adding a
dict of lists of observers to LogPublisher (replacing the current list
of observers) and obviously writing some unit tests.
>(This is not intended as a criticism - merely an observation that even
>tickets for simple problems with patches take a while to get reviewed,
>as manpower is of course a precious and scarce resource)
>
>Do you have any thoughts on how it could be broken down into smaller
>chunks?

All of the actual log messages throughout Twisted should *not* be
changed at once.  They should be changed incrementally, as people care
about them or work on code related to them.

Jean-Paul