[Twisted-Python] "small" jobs

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Jan 15 15:22:54 EST 2011

Hello Twisted Community,

Tomorrow, we're going to have a sprint in Massachusetts, where core developers and several contributors will get together to improve Twisted's code and documentation.  If you can't make it there, we'd be happy for you to play along at home, reviewing tickets and submitting patches.  We'll be on the twisted IRC channel as usual.

However, there are probably many of you who don't quite feel up to a sprint; who might not know enough about Python, or Twisted's internals, or the development process.  Or maybe you're just not that confident in your coding skills.  Twisted needs your help too.

In the past year, we've had two people take over non-coding responsibilities.   Jason J.W. Williams has become our official Success Stories ambassador (feel free to get in touch with him at <success at twistedmatrix.com> if you've got one!) and David Sturgis has become (somewhat less formally) our impromptu Boston-area sprint director.  Partially as a result, the core team has been able to stop thinking about sprint organization and success stories, and finish several new features in time for 10.2 as well as getting that release out before the end of 2010.

There are lots of other small jobs that need some attention.  By committing to one of the following responsibilities, you'd take a load off the core developers' minds so that we can focus on doing that core development:

Maintain a project page - one of the ones linked from <http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/TwistedProjects>.  These should be the preferred "landing" pages for people with a particular interest in Twisted, like "I want to run a chat server", but right now they don't contain enough useful information.
Maintain contact with our sponsors.  This would involve remembering when particular people donated, getting in touch with them when their sponsor membership is about to expire, and putting up and taking down logos from the front page of twistedmatrix.com.
Give credit where credit is due.  <http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/TwistedMatrixLaboratories> and the CREDITS file in the Twisted release are kind of a mess; they refer to people who are long gone and they don't recognize people who worked hard on the current release.

Please reply if you'd like to accept one of these responsibilities, or if you can think of another smallish, non-coding responsibility that someone could take over.