[Twisted-Python] regarding classes and functions in twisted.python.reflect

L. Daniel Burr ldanielburr at me.com
Thu Dec 29 10:52:22 EST 2011

Hi moijes12,

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 06:30:04 -0600, moses dsouza <moijes12 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm new to twisted. While was working on bug #5385 I noticed that classes
> AccessorType, PropertyAccessor, Accessor and Summer were rarely used
> elsewhere in the code. Similaryly many functions exists which are unused.
> Do we need these functions and classes? I do understand that the purpose
> t.python.reflect provides  "Standardized versions of various cool and/or
> strange things that you can do with Python's reflection capabilities."
> but
> I feel if we could remove things that we don't need we could make the
> code
> base smaller and move towards making twisted more efficient.

How would removing this code make twisted more efficient?  Is the savings
in disk-space significant?  Also, just because there is code in
t.p.reflect that is not used within twisted itself does not mean that
applications written using twisted are not using that code.

I think, in general, everyone likes the notion of making a codebase
smaller, but you always have to measure the benefit and the risk of doing
so.

Have a good one,

L. Daniel Burr