[Twisted-Python] Twisted vs jQuery Deferreds (was Re: RPC design questions)

Richard Wall m-lists at the-moon.net
Wed Aug 24 20:01:16 EDT 2011

On 25 August 2011 00:30, Tobias Oberstein <tobias.oberstein at tavendo.de> wrote:
> I am still wondering why they called the other stuff "then()" when it's not
> then, but "also()"
> and "pipe()" is the real <then> ;)

I agree. I had the same frustration a few months ago and various
Twisted people pointed out missing features in Jquery deferred:
 * http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2011-June/024146.html

Mochikit is the best (and original) JS port of deferred..Dojo and
Google Closure both credit Mochikit (and Twisted) in their source
code. I'm planning to revert back to it.

I guess it would be useful / constructive to compile a list of the
weaknesses in the jquery / commonjs deferred API and the reasons and
use cases for the Twisted deferred API.
Perhaps they can be persuaded to evolve towards the Twisted API in time.