[Twisted-Python] Twisted Plugins - Implementation Discussion

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Apr 22 02:03:48 EDT 2011

On Apr 21, 2011, at 9:01 PM, David wrote:

> You can take a look at bento, which is my own response to the distutils
> issues we have in the scipy community (but I would expect twisted and
> most big python libraries to have similar issues):
>
> http://cournape.github.com/Bento/
>
> It is designed from the ground up with the idea of reliable
> customization and complex build supports. It can already build numpy and
> scipy with a near 50 % reduction in LOC compared to our setup.py, and
> more reliably thanks to using a real build tool in the backend (waf, but
> you can add support for a different one if you want).

This looks very interesting.  You kind of bury the lead on that web page though, so let me excerpt it for those who saw the first line, thought "oh, it's yet another python packaging thing" and stopped reading in disgust:

Even better, bento has a distutils compatibiliy layer so that you can write a simple setup.py which works under pip or easy_install.

(emphasis mine)

This suggests that Twisted could actually switch to Bento without creating a massive disruption for our users who want to install it with an existing automation tool - which, frankly, is the main use-case for distutils at this point.

Would you recommend that we do this?  Would there be a benefit?  I like the part where you said "near 50% reduction in LOC" quite a lot but I'm sure there are issues that would come along with it.