[Twisted-Python] State of snmp

Landreville landreville at deadtreepages.com
Wed Sep 22 15:02:38 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Ilya Etingof <ilya at glas.net> wrote:

> You may want to take a look at pysnmp 4.x, which has Twisted binding
> built-in.
>
>> What is the current recommended (or most popular) way of using SNMP
>> with Twisted?
>>
>> I have tried TwistedSNMP, but it seems to only work with an old
>> version of pysnmp that I can't find -- the TwistedSNMP website says
>> pysnmp version 3.x, but pysnmp's website says the latest version is
>> 2.x.  I saw that there is a package in Ubuntu called python-pynetsnmp
>> which contains bindings for netsnmp and somehow integrates it into
>> twisted, but I cannot find this outside of Ubuntu's packages (I don't
>> use Ubuntu) . The pynetsnmp website on sourceforge has no files to
>> download, so I don't think that is source for the package.

pysnmp works well.
Here is the page with the example for working with Twisted in PySNMP
http://pysnmp.sourceforge.net/examples/4.x/v3arch/twisted/manager/getgen.html

If you are using version 1 or 2 you have to change the addTargetParams
call to: config.addTargetParams(snmpEngine, 'myParams', 'test-agent',
'noAuthNoPriv', 1)