[Twisted-Python] Selectable SerialPort Windows/Linux

Victor Norman vic.norman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 09:43:57 EDT 2010

I wonder if you've seen this really excellent tutorial:

It is one of the finest tutorials I've seen anywhere on the web, on any

In fact, I think the Twisted leadership should put links to this tutorial
all over their home page.  While the finger "tutorial" is OK, this tutorial
is much much much better, actually explaining *why* you make certain
classes, etc.

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Markus Hubig <mhubig at imko.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 2:08 PM, <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>> See the serialport examples on the website.  A couple are linked from
>> http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/core/examples/.
> The examples I found are mouse.py and gpsfix.py and there only listening on
> the serial line. It seems that with twisted I have some sort of a thread
> running
> which will trigger some methods (e.g. dataRecieved) as it reads something
> from the serial line. How could I send data then?
>> You do indeed want a Protocol subclass.
> Ok I see, and the Protocol subclass provides the dataReceived method!?
>> The code from your "self.read(7)" line to the end of that loop will
>> probably
> end up in a dataReceived method - but note that you'll have to do some
> buffering, as you can't be assured that dataReceived will get called with
>> exactly
> the number of bytes you want at a time, so you may have to collect data
>> from
>> multiple dataReceived calls (likewise you may get more than you want at
>> once, and need to split it up).
> Hmm ok so I have to design dataReceived() to buffer the received data until
> it get's
> the whole answer packet and than let it call e.g. packetRecieved() to
> process the
> packet ... I'm mot sure if this asynchronous approach is what I need,
> because the
> protocol I'm implementing is strict Master-Slave.
> - Markus
> --
> IMKO Micromodultechnik GmbH
> Markus Hubig
> System Administration & Development
> Im Stoeck 2
> D-76275 Ettlingen / GERMANY
> HR: HRB 360936 Amtsgericht Mannheim
> President: Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Kurt Koehler
> Tel: 0049-(0)7243-5921-26
> Fax: 0049-(0)7243-5921-40
> e-mail: mhubig at imko.de
> internet: www.imko.de

“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left
to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” -- Antoine de Saint