[Twisted-Python] major changes, release engineering, and learning cost

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed May 26 04:44:36 EDT 2010

On May 24, 2010, at 7:42 AM, Jonathan Lange wrote:

> FWIW, we've been doing this on Launchpad for some years and it works out well.

Good to know.

> As a rule, we don't have the final "sanity check" review, since we
> have robot minions that check for conflicts and that the tests pass.

This is useful information.  Our buildbot isn't *quite* PQM, but then... there's a strong case to be made that Jean-Paul is himself a robot.

> Using a DVCS would make it much easier. For example, Bazaar has
> plugins like loom and pipeline that are designed to manage a stack of
> changes.

Looms still scare me a bit, but my intent was definitely that a DVCS (and yes, most likely specifically bzr) would be involved.  If you have any particular insight as to how one might go about doing that, it would be helpful.

For practical purposes, until the bzr-ness of the buildbots is more exposed, I was thinking that developers could work in bzr but push changes into svn branches for testing.  Does that sound workable?

> Also, +1 on the documentation.

I think we should continue this discussion after somebody has done at least one branch like this.