[Twisted-Python] suggestion for a file transfer protocol

Gabriele Lanaro gabriele.lanaro at gmail.com
Tue May 11 06:20:27 EDT 2010

I'm trying to develop a simple application that let communicate two
computers in a LAN for transferring files. My idea is that:

using dbus/zeroconf each machine can see other's service and can connect
with it (I need something without authentication or so)

having a lan with 2 machines

A asks B if he can send a file

if B accepts, begin transferring
if B refuse, send an error back

It would be nice to transfer big files (not loaded all in memory) and the
ability to stop/resume the upload/download and the integrity check.

Is there a protocol that let me do this stuff or is better to implement a
protocol on my own? (I'd like that the system is flexible to further extend
for example, implement shared folders and so on)

In the latter case it's convenient to use one port or two ports like ftp
does?