[Twisted-Python] Noob alert - Looking for a framework for creating a long polling service

Reza Lotun rlotun at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 16:26:47 EDT 2010

> I am looking for a framework for doing a long polling service where :
> clients would connect to a soecific 'channel' and wait for a response
> Where a client admin would push a response only to clients connected to the
> same channel

There is a project built on top of Twisted that does exactly this,
called Orbited (http://orbited.org/). It works, and I use it for
internal real-time stats web pages. The one caveat I have with it is
that it recently appears to be somewhat inactive - though I use it so
much I might fork it and continue development ;-)

A good article showing you how to use Orbited is:

Other articles are featured on the orbited site.

If you're looking for a scalable, long-polling queue broadcaster *in
general*, I highly suggest nginx_http_push - an addon module for the
popular C-based asynchronous web server nginx

Start with Orbited though, and see where it takes you ;-)

Reza Lotun
mobile: +44 (0)7521 310 763
email:  rlotun at gmail.com
work:   reza at tweetdeck.com