[Twisted-Python] Twisted and python threading

Andrew Bennetts andrew at bemusement.org
Thu Mar 18 06:08:25 EDT 2010

> Hi,
> I'm trying to spawn a threading.Thread from a Twisted application, but
> the thread won't start unless I schedule the the code with
> reactor.callLater(), any Ideas ?

Twisted doesn't affect threading.Thread at all.

You haven't given much detail, so my best guess is that you are calling
Twisted APIs from a non-reactor thread.  Twisted's APIs are generally
*not* thread-safe, so that will give undefined behaviour (like nothing
happening when it should).  Basically the only API you should use is
reactor.callFromThread.  See

If that's not your problem, you'll have to elaborate more on what your
problem (like what precisely you mean by “thread won't start”) and how
to reproduce it.