[Twisted-Python] Twisted easy bugs, and other thoughts about getting people involved in Twisted

Asheesh Laroia twisted at asheesh.org
Sun Mar 14 12:53:59 EDT 2010

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Asheesh Laroia <twisted at asheesh.org> wrote:
>
>       So that's a quick tour of some of relevant things to you guys. I have a
>       few questions for you guys, if you're game:
>
>       * Of these things, what are the most interesting or useful? the least?
>

> If OpenHatch has users, the most interesting thing is simply that they
> will be looking at these lists :).

All right! (-:

>        * Are there other tickets from the Twisted Trac that would be good to pull
>       in?
>

> For new contributors?  Not that I can think of.

I did just notice there's a documentation tag. Is that something that
you'd want us to pull in, too?

I imagine you'll say yes -- I'm mostly asking to get your creative juices
flowing and see if there's anything else....

>       * Would you like me to ping the list if we come up with anything else I
>       think you might find interesting?
>
> Sure.

Yay.

>       * Do any of you want to re-use some of this data -- can we make that
>       easier?
>
> Isn't this all data that we're providing to you?  I don't understand why
> we'd want to be pulling things back out of OpenHatch.  Perhaps I've
> misunderstood.

I'm mostly referring to things like jesstess's "How to get involved"
answers.

One more thing -- pulling data out of Trac isn't actually super easy (-:.
So if you want us to re-export that in some really simple format like a
big JSON list, that's something else we can do.

>       We're pretty interested in helping projects convert users to contributors
>       (in code, testing, documentation, whatever!) across free software. I
>       wonder if there is a website widget that we could make for you to put on
>       twistedmatrix.com -- a big box talking about how "You TOO can contribute
>       to Twisted -- there are mentors, easy bugs, and everything!"
>
> Anything that would help us organize that information to appeal to
> potential contributors would be helpful.

Here's a dream:

A big and colorful box sits on the Twisted homepage. It says "Want to help
Twisted out, but feel shy about getting your feet wet? There are five
mentors standing by to help you dive in, 18 easy bugs, and 25 requests for
documentation." (Only maybe somehow it could use less words?)

That might take the person to the OpenHatch project page for Twisted,
where all that information is listed or available a click away. The widget
on the Twisted home page could pull data from OpenHatch's project page.

I don't know that *we* would get around to it soon, but certainly we can
provide the data pretty quickly. We might also get around to it sometime.

In fact, I just filed a bug with the above text --
https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue35

>       I don't mean to barge in; let me know if I'm unwelcome, and I'll wander
>       off. I find myself in a maze of Twisted developers, none of whom are
>       alike. Thanks! I'll be hanging out on #twisted as myself, paulproteus.
>

> Please feel free to stay in touch.  Getting more people involved in
> Twisted development is always of interest.

Great! (-:

-- Asheesh.

--
Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants.
 		-- General Omar N. Bradley