[Twisted-Python] Creating a COM object in a thread

Hugh Emberson hugh.emberson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 22:02:22 EDT 2010

The way I do this is I isolate all the COM stuff in a separate thread
from thread that runs my reactor.

This thread starts by calling:

    pythoncom.CoInitializeEx(pythoncom.COINIT_APARTMENTTHREADED)

it then creates the COM object and runs an event loop something like this:

    while keepRunning:
        n = MsgWaitForMultipleObjects(handles, False, timeout, QS_ALLINPUT)
        if n == WAIT_OBJECT_0 + nHandles:
            # There is a win32 message waiting.
            if pythoncom.PumpWaitingMessages():
                keepRunning = False

I send messages to the thread by putting them in a queue and setting
an event.  The messages cause methods to be called on the COM object.
I send the results of the COM methods back to the reactor thread using
reactor.callFromThread().

It's a bit of effort to do this, but it works really well.  It's been
in production for several years and I've never had a problem with it.

Hope this helps,
Hugh