[Twisted-Python] reactor.spawnProcess() and file descriptors

Itamar Turner-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Mon Jun 28 09:03:58 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 13:21 +0100, Carlos Valiente wrote:
> I wanted to skip the calls to close()
> -- 1024 of them, in my case -- because,  according to strace(1),  that
> takes about 100 ms (and I'd like to save those milliseconds).

Ah, I see. So the issue is performance. If you do file a ticket (and you
probably should), it should be about the speed issue, with suggested
solutions attached, so people know the underlying issue you're trying to
solve.

It's quite likely that closing could be sufficiently sped up by having a
tiny C extension do it -- less Python overhead, and you don't have to
raise and catch 1000 exceptions (which is fairly expensive).