[Twisted-Python] qt4 reactor status

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 23:37:45 EDT 2010

On 2010-06-27 18:51 , Glenn Tarbox, PhD wrote:

> One issue with "official" support is PyQt licensing.  If PySide is (or
> becomes) an alternative, the licensing issue would disappear and Twisted
> "could" include it in the distribution.

Phil Thompson provides an exception to the GPL license that explicitly states
that you can write modules using PyQt4 and release them under the MIT license
(or some other license from an enumerated set of OSI-approved licenses).

> The more fundamental question, IMHO, is the status and critical mass of
> PySide.  Nokia was unable to reach agreement with Riverbank which caused
> uncertainty after Qt's move to open source.  I don't know where this stands.

PySide appears to be making steady, healthy progress. If one is on Linux, it
would probably be worth an interested person's time installing it and changing
your imports from "PyQt4" to "PySide" and see if it works. OS X and Windows
builds are still some time away, but apparently the technical blockers have been
fixed. It's just a matter of applied effort, probably.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco