[Twisted-Python] Twisted 10.1.0pre1 released -- please test!

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Jun 24 19:57:28 EDT 2010

On Jun 19, 2010, at 8:35 AM, Jonathan Lange wrote:

> From the dank and grey depths of a London summer, a thin, reedy voice
> wanders across the waves of the Internet, saying that it's jolly well
> pleased to announce the first 10.1.0 pre-release.

> Please download the tarballs and test them as much as possible.

I'd like to strongly encourage everyone subscribed to this list to respond to this request.

In particular, you should note that if Twisted 10.1.0 pre1 horribly breaks your software, you can pipe up and say "hey!  don't release it yet!", and we may listen to you.  Even if maybe you were calling some private APIs or doing something gross and weird, there will be time to talk about it.  If you discover a legitimate regression, where we've broken something that really should have been considered public, we will fix it before the final release.

On the other hand, if you don't test any prereleases, and you discover that your application is broken by Twisted 10.1 the day after the *final* release, you will be screwed.  We won't roll it back and we might not prioritize your regression particularly highly (unless you decide to become a particularly generous sponsor, of course ;-)).

If you have software that depends on Twisted, it is definitely in your best interest to test the pre-releases and let us know how it worked out.

For my part, I have some things which are broken by the prerelease, but the breakage is entirely the fault of other software, so I need to go fix that before I can offer any proper feedback.

If you have tried the pre-release and it works well, drop us a line and say so!  Positive results are useful too.

Thanks,

-glyph