[Twisted-Python] ANNOUNCING Tahoe, the Least-Authority File System, v1.7.0

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Thu Jun 24 17:04:52 EDT 2010

On 6/22/10 10:35 AM, Peter Westlake wrote:

> I downloaded it and typed "python setup.py build", and it went off and
> started building a copy of Twisted 10.0! Will that be installed on my
> system, or will it only affect the Tahoe build?

Using "setup.py build" should not affect anything outside of your source
directory: it should create a Twisted .egg and store/use it in the
support/lib subdir of your Tahoe source checkout. Tahoe should be the
only thing that sees the new Twisted.

In contrast, I suspect that "setup.py install" *would* install all the
dependencies (as well as Tahoe itself) onto your system.

In general, just don't run anything as root, and you should be ok.

cheers,
  -Brian