[Twisted-Python] Integrating Twisted with ZeroMQ

Christopher Armstrong radix at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Jun 6 16:18:11 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Laurens Van Houtven <lvh at laurensvh.be> wrote:
> A potential option for Twisted, which some people don't quite like,
> would be to have a listenZMQ and connectZMQ, analogous to
> listenTCP/listenUDP/listenSSL and the respective connect*s. I think
> this makes more sense to the ZeroMQ people (who think of ZeroMQ as a
> layer "next to" TCP which happens to be implemented on top of TCP, on
> top of which you build your stuff) than the Twisted people (who think
> of ZeroMQ's protocol as yet another TCP-using protocol just like HTTP
> for example). Having worked with both pieces of software, the more I
> play with ZeroMQ the more I think listenZMQ/connectZMQ make sense.
> ZeroMQ really tries to be one of those things and it shows. What
> ZeroMQ wants to do is semantically much closer to the existing
> connects and listens. I'm not just making this up: the ZeroMQ people
> have reviewed this and this is really what ZeroMQ wants to be.

At the moment I only feel compelled to respond to this point in particular.

We don't want to have any more transport-specific methods on the
reactor, and this has nothing to do with ZMQ. We also don't want to
have connectSOCKS, or listenSerialPort. Fortunately, the endpoints
API[1] was very recently merged to Twisted trunk, so any new
transport-specific connectors/listeners can be implemented in terms of
its interfaces. listenTCP and so forth should eventually be deprecated
in preference to the endpoints APIs.

1: Source: http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/trunk/twisted/internet/endpoints.py
    ticket: http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/1442

--