[Twisted-Python] WebSocket Support #4173

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Jul 17 11:21:10 EDT 2010

On 16 Jul, 01:07 pm, rlotun at gmail.com wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>As suggested by therve (Thomas) I just wanted to kick off a discussion
>about the current state of the WebSocket ticket
>(http://http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/4173).
>
>At the moment there are two patches linked against the ticket - mine
>and progrium's (Jeff?). Based on Jeff's comments it seems that while
>his patch may contain a more elegant implementation (to be honest, I
>haven't looked carefully at it yet), my patch seems to work against
>the dev version of chromium.
>
>Is there any way we can work to combine the patches, and extend the
>unit tests?

I'm not invested in websockets at this point.  I'm not using them for
anything and I don't anticipate using them for anything in the
foreseeable future.

That said, as a lot of people seem to be excited about them, I hope
Twisted will eventually have nice support for them.

It seems like the pace of revision of the specification demands
something different from Twisted's normal development/release cycle
though.  How would people feel about taking the code from #4173 and
developing it outside of Twisted until the specification is finalized,
then moving it back in?  As far as I know, it should be equally easy to
implement as an external feature for Twisted Web as it is to do as an
integral part.  And since there are so many people interested in this,
moving the source into a VCS with a better distributed workflow and
better merging features seems to make sense.

Jean-Paul