[Twisted-Python] lore2sphinx table handling?

Kevin Horn kevin.horn at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 19:08:17 EST 2010

Sphinx uses plain ReST tables, and from what I can tell, ReST has 4 (yes,
4!) ways of marking up tables:

Grid tables
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/ref/rst/restructuredtext.html#grid-tables
- ASCII-art style tables

Simple Tables
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/ref/rst/restructuredtext.html#simple-tables
- A different style of ASCII-art table, simpler but less powerful than Grid
Tables

CSV Tables
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/ref/rst/directives.html#csv-table
- data is provided in CSV format in the body of a ReST directive

List Tables
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/ref/rst/directives.html#list-table
- data is provided as nested lists in the body of a ReST directive

My question is, what format should the lore2sphinx tool target?

Any of these formats should work fine, but I'm curious as to what people (in
particular the core devs) think as to which should be the preferred method
in the Sphinx documentation.

Keep in mind that there are only 2 tables in all of the Twisted docs, and
one of them is in the documentation for Lore, which (hopefully!) should be
going away once this project is completed.  So it's not like it would be a
whole lot of work to change the preferred format later.

Kevin Horn