[Twisted-Python] Light-est-weight http authentication

Brad Milne brad.milne at devx.runthered.com
Wed Feb 10 14:20:49 EST 2010

Thanks. I had actually already found your page and you're right, it does
seem to be the best resource out there. Since your email I've had a second
look at it, as initially I wasn't sure how to use the example to return a
web resource (handler with render_GET etc) in place of the file you
returned. Turns out it wasn't actually too bad, and looks something like:

{code}

from zope.interface import implements

from twisted.cred.portal import IRealm, Portal
from twisted.cred.checkers import FilePasswordDB
from twisted.web.static import File
from twisted.web.resource import IResource
from twisted.web.guard import HTTPAuthSessionWrapper, DigestCredentialFactory

def secureServer():
    class PublicHTMLRealm(object):
        implements(IRealm)

        def requestAvatar(self, avatarId, mind, *interfaces):
            if IResource in interfaces:
                return (IResource, WebResource(), lambda: None)
            raise NotImplementedError()

    portal = Portal(PublicHTMLRealm(), [FilePasswordDB('httpd.password')])

    credentialFactory = BasicCredentialFactory("MyRealm")
    rsrc = HTTPAuthSessionWrapper(portal, [credentialFactory])

    return rsrc

class WebResource(resource.Resource):
    def __init__():

    def getChild(self, path, request):
        if path == self.expected:
            return ValidHandler()
        else:
            return InvalidUrlHandler()

# Create server
my_server = secureServer(...)
site = server.Site(my_server)

{code}

This has worked great so far where ValidHandler contains a render_GET, but
when calling a POST or PUT on handler that has render_POST or render_PUT
using this technique returns a message which I think is Method Not Allowed
(on the train right now, so don't have in front of me, sorry). Is there a
better way to form the above to prevent this?

Thanks again
Brad