[Twisted-Python] Using Twisted and GTK2

David Ripton dripton at ripton.net
Wed Feb 3 14:03:32 EST 2010

On 2010.02.03 13:48:39 +0100, Ramiro Alba Queipo wrote:
> I recently new about Twisted and saw it as the best way to deal with a
> client/server network application (I use python long time ago). Really
> wonderful. I now intend to write a GTK client that can send commands and
> transfers files to the server and from it.
> I started to learn how to write applications not using 'Perspective
> Broker', but when I reached to the example pbgtk2.py to authenticate and
> send echo commands, I could no see a way the same with a PB. Is that
> true?. Is, anyway the best alternative (I mean PB) to write the
> application I intend to?

PB is fine.  AMP or Foolscap might be better for some tasks, but PB is
mature and works.

PB features integration with Cred, which is Twisted's pluggable
authentication mechanism.

http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/core/howto/cred.html

Cred is very flexible.  The integration between PB and Cred isn't quite
as flexible, but it works fine for straightforward cases.

If you're looking for larger sample code, I have a game that uses PyGTK
and PB and Cred, here:

http://github.com/dripton/Slugathon

David Ripton    dripton at ripton.net